1. Bullhead
    June 24, 2010 @ 7:45 pm

This not the “disclose Act” this is the DESTROy the Constitution” Act!!!!!!!!!!!! What the heck is wrong with this country!! Our Congress REJECTS the Constitution and our President Prases them- Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!
    Can’t wait until Nov. to oust them all!!! And 2012 can’t come fast enough!!!
    Look our talk radio-you are in their sights
    We are losing our liberties and the left appaluds!
    Wake up America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. richard
    June 24, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

I agree with Bullhead!! The leftist, liberal, progressive, socialists are and have been destroying this country for far too long now. Holman is the one who doesn’t get it. This is nothing but a union, feminist, and enviro-whacko favoring bill. By the way, the NRA did not ask for this exemption; they were granted it by the spineless, feckless liberals who knew they couldn’t pass the bill if the NRA was opposed to it.

3. thevilemaxim
    June 25, 2010 @ 5:04 am

I love how you guys make a bunch of opinionated claims, which are clearly biased and completely objective, without providing any examples to back up your claims. We’re lucky to have the freedom to speak out minds in a public forum. I’m grateful to have the opportunity to hear a completely different point of view from my own, even if I can’t relate to it. I would really love to hear you make a point that would completely re-construct the my perspective on this issue and compel me to reverse my position. Unfortunately, between the two of you, only one point was made: that liberals were proven once again to be spineless cowards by granting the disclosure exemption to the NRA. Seriously, what do you even think about this issue? What the fuck IS your opinion? All I get is,”This is bad because it was passed by liberals.” I hate “liberals” just as much as you do – though for different reasons – but you “conservatives” don’t do a very good job making your case, you must admit. There is no argument. You just say its bad and call people names. Why is it bad? What exactly is it that “liberals” are doing that is destroying democracy? And are “conservatives” doing anything to hurt democracy?

4. thevilemaxim
    June 25, 2010 @ 5:05 am

5. John R
    June 25, 2010 @ 6:46 am

Woo Hoo ! I was pleased to read this bit of positive news. It gives me hope and I can certainly use a dose of that right now.

Just as in football, which is a “game of inches,” the PEOPLE have the ball at the 25 yard line.

I would strongly advise everyone to start writing letters and calling the representative in your district and both your senators in your state to vote in favor of H.R. 4790, H.R. 1836 and S.751 so we (the PEOPLE) can carry this ball past the 100 yard line.

6. John R
    June 25, 2010 @ 7:36 am

Mr. Holman –

There is a typo in your article above.

The House version of the Fair Elections Now Act should be H.R. 1826 (not H.R. 1836).

People who are interested can go to:

to track these bills, write their Senators and Congressional Reps, cast personal votes (for or against bills), post comments, see the money trail, watch videos, etc..

Thank you for what you do.

7. Lesley Price
    June 25, 2010 @ 8:44 am

I fail to see how the “Disclose Act” and/or the HR 1826 has any negative effect or impact on our constitution! How is having more information about source of campaign funding (sunshining) destroying our country? How is it that you liberal haters are blind to the fact this wasn’t just a liberal bill – that Republicans were also involved? Or did we read different articles?
    I totally agree with “thevilmaxim” post; just screaming about everything the “liberals” do is an attack on our constitution turns off more folks than garners support for your warped position.
    John R., thank you for providing link to more information; oh, but that’s right more information appears to be another attack (from the liberals) on our country & constitution!

8. David Weller
    June 25, 2010 @ 6:55 pm

May I ask that you delete offensive comments? Thanks

9. John R
    June 25, 2010 @ 9:34 pm

David Weller wrote:
    “May I ask that you delete offensive comments? Thanks”

I’m sure that Public Citizen would consider doing such a thing as soon as you give them the guidelines to clearly define when something becomes offensive to ALL people.

Personally, I didn’t agree with a couple comments made here, but I found none of them particularly offensive. Apparently, you did.

So – just where is that shadowy line when something turns from being inoffensive to everyone to offensive everyone ?

We await your answer.

10. Daniel
    July 21, 2010 @ 6:51 pm

While the DISCLOSE Act has the pretext of openness and transparency, it ultimately undermines the First Amendment and severely limits the ability of small, grassroots political groups to operate. Liberty minded individuals would do well to contact their local representatives and ask them to vote against it.

11. Alamo
    July 26, 2010 @ 9:57 pm

Unlimited campaign funding has the potential to destroy American democracy pure and simple.

The energy industry has poured 2.4 billion dollars into congressional lobbying efforts since 2000. Whose interests are they lobbying for? America’s or theirs? You know that answer and it is not about to change unless we Americans unite in opposition and demand a Constitutional Amendment limiting campaign funding. If we do not you can kiss this nation good bye.

12. etmisis
    November 3, 2010 @ 6:29 pm

why do the trolls bother spewing hate on liberal sites? before the elections yesterday, i asked 2 republican friends to explain to me why their candidate (or stance on california propositions) would be better for the state. one person changed the subject, the other made a comment about having to be liberal to live here. neither gave me any sort of logical reason for their beliefs. this is a little too close to limbaugh’s ‘ditto’. really, are there no concrete examples of why you think liberals are destroying the country? how easily we forget that the reason for the deficit is the war, which was begun on republican’s watch.

look: bush had 8 years to drive this country 6 feet under. obama’s had 2, with an embarrassingly stubborn congress, to dig us out.

imho this country is already putty in the hands of the corporations. look what it’s done to us. tax cuts for sending jobs overseas? i don’t understand. i understand that corporate reality only takes into account their own bottom line. what i don’t understand is why people want this?

so, thevilemaxim, i *think* conservatives want to privatize everything. reduce government regulations. what does this do to destroy our country? one not need look beyond the banking crisis. or the oil spill. that was pretty destructive—we don’t even know to what extent yet.

13. DIVULGUE U.S.A. « O Bicho Preguiça
    November 5, 2010 @ 5:59 am

[…] O projeto foi aprovado pela Câmara no dia 24 de junho desse ano. […]

14. Telling Tales Out of School: A Sonnet from the Portuguese « The New World Lusophone Sousaphone
    November 8, 2010 @ 10:27 am

[…] I tried to wise the Brazilian up to projects like Open Secrets and the DISCLOSE Act, passed by the last Congress with an eye to tightening disclosure requirements for campaign […]