7 Comments

1. Jennifer R
    August 28, 2013 @ 12:02 pm

I think it’s important to find a way to get the formula companies to stop advertising, period, as well as to stop them from doing more subtle forms of marketing, like the free formula and all the money they put into medical schools. It is an uphill battle, since there is little profit (directly) in promoting breastfeeding. I wish you luck.

2. Kelley Lane
    August 28, 2013 @ 1:29 pm

Thank you so much for fighting this battle on a grand scale! I remember complaining out loud upon receiving “breasfeeding support pack” (full of formula) in the hospital when my 1st daughter was born in 1998. I wrote a paper in college about the evils of formula, about company reps posing as nurses in Africa, giving poor young mothers formula samples! Nothing had changed with hospitals in the US promoting formula by the time I had my 2nd daughter in 2004. So I went to a birth center instead. Thank you for what you are doing!

3. Michael MacPherson
    August 28, 2013 @ 1:33 pm

Well of course mega-corporations like Nestle, Abbott and Mead Johnson under mind women’s breast milk, look at all that profits they are missing out on, the longer women breast feed their children the more profits they are losing out on.

4. Lisa
    August 28, 2013 @ 2:05 pm

I am so glad to see this campaign launched again. I had my second son in June of this year and I was happy that not only was I not offered formula in the hospital, but a lactation consultant came to my room twice. (This is a baby friendly hospital and there is not even a nursery to send the baby to for the healthy moms/healthy babies floor). Even with all this, I think all patient’s names were given to a formula company because 2 days after I got home, I got a formula “welcome home” package in the mail. My baby was born 2 weeks early so I am fairly certain this wasn’t tied to a purchase somewhere else (for instance, Motherhood Maternity). Plus the package said “welcome home”, they knew the baby had arrived. This also should be banned. I am not interested in receiving anything, ever from a formula company unless I go on their website and request that they send me something. Good luck with this campaign!!!

5. Dan Scarl
    August 28, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

In the 1970s, Nestle hired women to go into villages in poor countries, to pose as nurses and teach that formula was better than breast feeding. The women would then use the free formula the “nurses” left, their breasts would dry up — and them they had to struggle to buy what formula they could. Very often the amount they could purchase was inadequate, and their babies became malnourished. Nestle finally stopped this practice after the World Health Organization threatened them with a boycott.

6. Didi Magnin
    August 28, 2013 @ 3:42 pm

As Michael MacPherson brilliantly say: why should Nestlé and the others advocate breast-feeding. There was a case brought against Nestlé in the 80’s – the company sold pwdered milk to women in Africa, therby increasing infant mortalitiy. The CEOs have absolutely no morals..sell more, earn more and to hell with the poor.

7. Rebecca Rens
    August 28, 2013 @ 5:06 pm

I breast fed both of my sons & all hospitals should encourage breast feeding. I have read the ingredients in infant formula & I was appalled at what was in the formula- corn syrup solids was the 1rst ingredient listed. That doesn’t sound healthy to me.